Escape Northern for Southern Tanzania & Zanzibar 22days - GS 091K
The Escape Northern for Southern Tanzania & Zanzibar tour takes you to three of Tanzania's most spectacular attractions at a relatively relaxed pace. The tour will take you to explore the best of the Southern attractions of Tanzania to explore Ruaha national park, Mikumi National park and Selous Game Reserve. This tour is designed purposely to escape queues of vehicles with many tourists on game drives in Northern game parks, but the tour will give you Great chance to experience both nature, fauna and flora, as well as the culture to get an impression of how the locals live their life as well as their history. You will then close the tour on Resting and Relaxation in a jewel if Indian Ocean, which is the Spice of Zanzibar Island.
You will enjoy and experience nature, wildlife, habit and habitat of the fauna and flora in the natural areas, also peoples and culture. Availability 90% Book Now
Minimum Rate Per Adult: US$
Departing From: Arusha
Duration: 22 Days / 21 Nights
Departure Time: 0830 Hrs (possible to leave earlier than)
Minimum Persons Required: 2
Best Time: All the year round
Day 1: Arrive JRO (Kilimanjaro International Airport)
-Meet and assist on your arrival at JRO and transfer to Arusha Crowm Hotel for overnight booked on bed and breakfast, BB
Day 2: Arusha - Monduli Juu Maasai Cultural Tour
- In the morning at 0800hrs after breakfast, depart Arusha for Monduli Juu for a Maasai cultural tour, this tour takes you to learn and experience the Maasai people. WHY maasai? Is the most and well known tribe which still practices their tradition ways of life.
Market place: An hour drive you arrive in Monduli Juu, but before you get there, at 0845hrs arrive nearby Monduli juu and visit Maasai social market (on Saturdays). The colorfully market whereby Maasai from all nearby villages around and across the Great Rift Valley come to the market with their items for trading, sale and buy. The area will be fully covered with three Maasai colors, which are red, blue and black; a visit to this market is very interesting.
Maasai tribe history: From the market, you drive further up to arrive in Monduli juu, get in a Maasai boma of Laigwanani Lengai, a maasai welcoming song will be conducted. LAIGWANANI is a clan leader in a boma, a boma is a compound containing houses from 2 or more, even than 10 houses, thatched with mud or grasses and dominated by ONE man who may have more than one wives, or even more than 10 wives. The master of the boma will brief about his family, wives, children and livestock, followed by the history of the Maasai in general, the history of the sister tribe to maasai called WAARUSHA, means mixture, formed after intermarriage of maasai with nearby tribes especially WAMERU and WACHAGA.
Event and dance: in the evening at around 1700hrs when the livestock are coming back to the boma from the field, you will witness Maasai Moran will hold up a cow and the other Moran or an elder maasai with en arrow and bow, he will pull-up and shoot an arrow towards a targeted blood vein on the neck of a cow. A Moran will suckle fresh blood from the neck of a cow and he will let some amount of blood to drop in a bowl or calabash/gourd. You will also witness preparation of your dinner; two goats will be slaughtered for traditional maasai barbeque. This is a traditional NYAMA CHOMA, where you will cut the meat yourself for your dinner. The events will be followed by a wonderful maasai traditional dance in a Boma. Please make sure you come with a good digital camera with enough space for photo taking and storage. Dancing and singing will continue after dinner up to 2300hrs. Where are you going to sleep?
A night in a Maasai Boma: this day you will spend a night in a Maasai boma, Mzee wa Boma (elder of the Boma) Mr. Lengai, will show you one of his huts where you will sleep. This room will be a real maasai room for accommodation, if is to sleep on a cow skin, you do it! We as your agent will make sure that a room is treated and make sure there are no insects to hum you. And if you do not need to stay a night in a boma, after dinner, the drive will take you down to Monduli Chini for overnight at Eâ€™Manyatta Lodge
Day 3: Monduli Juu (Kona Saba/escapement climb) Half day
- At 0800hrs after breakfast, drive to starts a walking tour at Mfereji village, a 45 minutees drive from Naramatu starting point. From there you walk through typical tree savanna to the foot of the escarpment. Although Climbing the'Kona Saba' (Seven corners) escarpment is not difficult, you need to wear good walking shoes. From the escarpment you can oversee the wonderful panorama from rift valley, over Kitumbeine, mount Longido up to Mount Meru, Mount Kilimanjaro, also Mount Lolmalasin and Mount Lengai. Arrival at the Norkuman from where you will be picked up by car and transfer to Monduli Chini for late lunch, dinner and overnight at Manyatta Lodge FB.
Day 4: Monduli Chini - Moshi /Marangu/Kilimanjaro
- - Breakfast, at 0700hrs, depart for Moshi Marangu, check in at Capricorn Hotel, just after checked in, walk up to Marangu Gate, the gate way trekking up and down from the Kibo peak; see how arrangement is done at the gate for the climbers, later return to the lodge for lunch. After lunch at 1400hrs, your Marangu enthusiasts will be delighted to visit the home and memorial of the late Yohano Lauwo, a Marangu native who accompanied Dr. Hans Meyer on the first recorded climb of Kilimanjaro in 1889. He lived for an astonishing 124 years and guided treks up the mountain at the age of 70 years! Thereafter, visit the Kilema Roman Catholic mission (the first church to be built in the region), you can also see the first coffee trees planted in Tanzania by Irish missionaries 100 years ago. Kilimanjaro region is one of the leading coffee producers in the in Tanzania. A short climb up Ngangu Hill with it's fantastic views is a pleasure. On a clear day the snows of Kibo seem so close, the plains so wide and the Pare Mountains close enough to grab, visit black smith who continue using traditional methods for making different iron tools, which are used by some tribes today like Maasai. Later drive back for dinner and overnight at Capricorn Hotel.FB
Day 5: Marangu - Waterfalls
-In the morning after breakfast, visit to spend the morning at Kinuka Mori Waterfalls, The falls that has the great history of a young girl who had pregnant out of marriage (You will see her mould picture there on top of the falls). According to the traditional ways of Chagga tribe, the people living in the area, a girl of that kind was chased away from the family, believed that she is a curse in the family. So she run away to hide herself near the falls waiting to die, suddenly a leopard appeared and ambushed her (you will see a mould picture of a leopard there in the action of ambush), from no-where a leopard jumped on her and they all fall through the steep falls, it is said she died and her body were not found. Return to the lodge at 1200hrs for lunch. In the afternoon you relax at the hotel or walk around the village with a local guide for a chance to meet and talk with locals.
Meals and overnight at Capricorn hotel FB.
Day 6: Marangu - Kisangara Home Stay:
In the morning after breakfast, visit Local brew and depart for kisangara village and arrive to Mrs. Grace Msafiri Mngara, fresh fruits including banana will be on the table waiting for you. Grace and her family are running a boarding school project for children. There are so many things to do here, there are school buildings which are still in construction, and you can volunteer yourself to help in carrying materials to the contractor. But the most things to lean is cooking African foods, you will be assisted on preparing African food using banana with local chicken. Please do not forget taking pictures and video on everything you do for your memorable African safari. Lunch and dinner experience with family, and overnight in bandas with nice self contained room, nice bed and mosquito net. Prepare something to do with children tomorrow.
Day 7: Kisangara Home stay
- Today, breakfast, lunch, dinner and overnight at Mrs. Grace Msafiri. FB.
Have a chance to teach children in the class, any lesson. Ask academic about what lesson you can teach the children in certain class. You can even teach them to sing a song; the school also has a play-ground.
Day 8: Kisangara - Lushoto:
At 0800hrs after breakfast, depart for Lushoto and arrive in the early afternoon for lunch at Irente View Lodge. The lodge is built right on the edge of cliff landscape, with panoramic view to the wide view of the eye site. After lunch, walk 6 steps to Irente viewpoint, this point is a very nice view and interesting where you can spend some hours relaxed. You will have dinner and overnight at Irente View Cliff Lodge booked on full board basis.
Lushoto is located in the Usambara Mountains range on the northeastern of Tanzania. Landscape, tropical forests and numerous spectacular viewpoints, historical sites are the main features of the area, thorough explanation of the history and life of the local farmers provide a memorable experience. This area of Lushoto (west Usambara) is nick named Switzerland of Africa because of the mountain range.
Day 9: Lushoto - Morogoro:
After breakfast, 0700hrs after breakfast, depart for Morogoro, a half-way to Ruaha. Lunch will be in a nice restaurant on the way to arrive in Morogoro in the late afternoon. Morogoro is a region in the middle-east of the country towards Southern circuit of Tanzania national parks and game reserves where you do not need to go far to locate animals, but also with less number of tourists. You will have dinner and overnight at New Acropol Hotel in Morogoro
Know something about Eastern Arc Mountains (EAM) Range:
The Eastern Arc Mountains are one of 24 globally important hotspots for forest biodiversity according to Conservation International. These mountains also serve as water catchments for urban areas such as Dar es Salaam, Tanga and Morogoro in Tanzania. The forests provide fire wood, medicinal plants, lumber and other forest-related products. Local villagers depend on these forests to live.
Location of the EAM:
The Eastern Arc eco-region extends in elevation patches along a chain of isolated mountain ranges from the taita Hills, close to the Kenyan border with Tanzania, down through eastern Tanzania to the gap between the Udzungwa Mountains in Morogoro and Mount Rungwe in Mbeya (Makambako Gap). From North to South, the main blocks are the Taita Hills in kenya the North and South Pare mountains, the East and west(lushoto) Usambara Mountain, the south and north Nguru mountains in Morogoro, the Ukaguru, the Uluguru, the ubeho and the Uluguru mountains in Morogoro. There are also smaller isolated outliers such as mahenge to the south of the udzungwas, malundwe Hills in Mikumi Morogoro and the Uvidundwa Mountains north of the udzungwas. So Morogoro is a country, which is surrounded by Mountain and Hills
Day 10: Morogoro - Ruaha Ruaha National Park
After breakfast, check out and with packed lunch launch journey to Ruaha National Park where you will arrive in the late afternoon. Evening at leisure, dinner and overnight at Ruaha River Tented Camp, FB
Day 11 & 12: Full day Game drives in Ruaha National Park
After breakfast, dedicate this day in Ruaha Ruaha National Park, for morning and afternoon game viewing to look for Roan and Sable antelope, Hippo Crocodile, waterbuck, Reedbuck and Buffalo venture to the river's edge to drink, attracting the attention of Lion, Leopard, Hyena, Wild dog, jackal and many more antelopes include Dik dik. Walking in the wilderness includes a visit to one of the Africa's most important historical site. The stone age ruins at Isimila. There are many birds in the park include Eurasia migrants that Comes to visit the park twice a year. You will have all meals and overnight at Ruaha River Tented Camp. FB
Day 13: Ruaha - Mikumi National Park
After breakfast, then check out from Ruaha and travel to Mikumi National Park with packed lunch and game viewing on the way. At 1530hrs go for game drives in Mukumi National park, dinner and overnight at Vuma Hill Tented Camp, FB
Day 14: Mikumi - Selous Game reserve - Walking
Walk-up at 0600hrs for early morning game drives in mikumi, return to camp at 0800hrs for breakfast at 0845hrs travel to Selous game Reserve for lunch with packed lunch. In the late afternoon at 1500hrs commence a walking trip in the wilderness accompanied by an armed ranger guide to get closer to the animals, dinner and overnight at Rufuji River Tented Camp, FB
Day 15: Game drives & Boat Excursion in Selous
Tour of the Selous Game Reserve. To do; Morning game drives in the reserve to look for lion, elephant, buffalo, zebra, gnu and many other mammals, at noon break for lunch. At 1400hrs go for boat excursion on the Rufiji River sporting large floating bodies of Hippos and or Crocs short, in the evening as the Sun goes down, game drives towards Rufuji River Tented Camp, for dinner experience and overnight FB.
Day 16: Full day in Selous Game Reserve
After breakfast check, go for morning and afternoon game drives in the Reserve, a home to large population of elephant, big number of buffalo and wild dog. Other species commonly seen are lion, bushbuck, impala, giraffe, eland, baboon, zebra, Kudus and Crocodile. You will have all meals and overnight at Rufuji River Tented Camp,, FB
Day 17: Selous - Dar es Salaam - Zanzibar
- At 0700hrs after breakfast, check out and drive back with picnic lunches to Dar es Salaam, arrive in the afternoon. At 1500hrs transfer to Ferry port for a scheduled boat depart for Zanzibar at 1600hrs, in Zanzibar you meet by our staff and transfer to hotel overnight at Mtoni Marine Resort, booked on bed and breakfast basis, BB
Day 18: Zanzibar Stone Town
- Breakfast in your hotel followed by excursions from your hotel to Spice farm, Lunch at the hotel then afternoon excursion for Town Tour, and late afternoon return to Mtoni Marine Resort for overnight, booked on bed and Breakfast.
Day 19: Stone Town - EAST COAST of Zanzibar
-Breakfast, then transfer to East Coastal beach of Zanzibar for dinner and overnight at Karafuu beach Resort. HB
Day 20& 21: R & R at Karafuu Beach resort
- Rest and relax at leisure on the white sand beaches of the Coastal resort waiting for your dinner and overnight at Karafuu Beach Resort. Booked on half board basis HB, any available water-sport can be arranged
Day 22: Zanzibar - Home
After breakfast, check out from your hotel and transfer to Zanzibar airport and fly to Kilimanjaro International airport to connect your flight back home, The end of Service by Gofan Africa Safaris
The above prices are based on a minimum of 2 persons. Group Incentive Safari Prices Available contact us and enjoy up to 25% saving on the per person rate!
-Christmas and New Year Supplements US$ 45 per person per day 23 December to 3 January
-Tour Rates in US$ (Click here to convert rates shown below to major world currencies)
- Flying Doctors Emergences
- All hotel and Airport transfers as per the itinerary
- All Park entrance fee and activities as per the itinerary
- Full board accommodation on safari
- Half board accommodation in Zanzibar
- Domestic Flight from Zanzibar to Kilimanjaro and ferry boat from Dar to Zanzibar
- Service of an English speaking driver guide, allowances to the guide
- Transport based on a 4WD Vehicle with open roof for game viewing
- Driver's Salary and allowances and park fees for vehicle and driver
- Game drives as per the Itinerary
- Mileage is built in the price
- Complementary bottle of water daily on Safari
- Complementary of printed Safari hat and T-shirt
- Government taxes
- Extras at the lodges i.e. drinks, telephone, laundry etc.
- International flight, Visa and Travel Insurance
- Departure tax
- Tips to drivers (highly recommended)